Thursday, May 10, 2012

I Hate You Mommy:

So on 5/8/12 I got Hayden upset and mad at me.
My mom was here with the dogs and Hayden had a worker from E.I. coming so my mom went to put the dogs in the other room so they couldn't jump on the worker. Well i was trying to joke and mess around with Hayden and I said, we were throwing the dogs away. He got extremely upset and said, 'noooo.' Mind you I said it in a joking way. So I said it again and Hayden started crying. I tried to tell him I was joking and he said, 'NOT JOKING!' at the top of his lungs still while crying. So i kept trying to tell him I was joking and messing around and he just kept crying and saying not joking. Then after my mom got done putting the dogs in the other room I said to Hayden that they were just in the other room and at that moment my almost 3 year old.son said, 'I Hate You Mommy!'
So while Hayden was playing games with the worker I went into his room laid on his bed and held his monk-monk (which used to be my stuffed monkey) and cried. Finally when Pat came in he asked what was wrong and when he finally got me calmed down I told him that Hayden hates me. Now I knew that Hayden really didn't hate me but I still took it to heart. Pat said Hayden doesn't hate you and I said, 'Yes he does.' So Pat took me into the living room and asked Hayden, 'Hayden do you hate mommy?' Hayden said, 'Yes!' So then Pat asked Hayden, 'Hayden do you love mommy?' and Hayden said, 'No!' I was really upset.
My mom tried explaining to me that he doesn't understand that I was joking or what joke was. Then after me and mom got done talking I went inside and pulled Hayden into my arms and was hugging him and I explained that mommy was just trying to joke/kid around, that I was sorry to upset him and that I wasn't trying to hurt his feelings. Hayden then said, 'It's okay mommy.' I said, 'I love you Hayden!' and then Hayden hugged and kissed me and said, 'I love you too mommy.'
So a bit of advice, if your toddler is attached to something and loves something that much, what ever you do, don't try to say something that could upset him/her. They really don't understand the meaning of a joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment