Thursday, May 24, 2012

Topic - Breastfeeding:

I breastfed my son and I am breastfeeding my daughter. I personally feel that breastfeeding is healthier then formula. I personally don't trust formula.


Reason: Scientists. Key words here, Science and tests. Now not all science is bad, but it's not all good either. Think of it this way: most scientific studies and testing are done on rats, mice, dogs, cats, rabbits, non-human primates, guinea pigs and farm animals. Mainly mice and rats are used. Roughly 90% of testing is done on mice and rats.


Anyway I feel that breastfeeding brings about a stronger and closer bond between mother and child. Breastfeeding is a natural, safer and better food choice for babies. Otherwise why else do our bodies produce milk? Here are a few reasons as to why I say that breastfeeding is a better food choice.
  • Mother's milk is rich in nutrients and disease-fighting antibodies. 
  • Lymphocytes that help babies resist infections and help to protect from allergies. 
  • Lowers your stress levels. 
  • Women have a greater chance of not suffering from ovarian or breast cancer. 

Now I want to bring up a highly controversial, talked about, brought-up and criticized topic. Breastfeeding: How old is too old? So just how old is too old to still be breastfeeding your child? Well that depends on what you and your child feel. I personally want the breastfeed at least till the age of two years or until my child weans. Whichever comes first.

With my son I breastfed until he started weaning himself at 13 months, by 14 months he was done breastfeeding. Now what I really wanted but I didn't tell him he had to stop, he stopped all by himself. I left it up to my child.

I am still breastfeeding my daughter at 6 months. I am leaving the choice up to her. I will least breastfeed until she is one, plus she won't take any formula (which I am happy about), as we had to try it since when she was 3 months old I got really sick and my supply dramatically dropped. But it didn't matter how hungry she was or what formula we tried, she just would not take it. So she really didn't eat much for 2 days, even though I kept giving her the breast. I kept pumping throughout the day but the most I would get was 2 or 3 ounces total a day. But I didn't give up and now she's 6 months and healthy. Kira is getting as much milk she needs to keep her healthy and full. 

So, how old is too old to be breastfeeding? It's all up to you and your child. But unless you don't want to continue to breastfeed, I would leave that choice up to your child(ren).

2 comments:

  1. like what you wrote, Good job Mom !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That was very nice to hear. I hope you continue to like what I write. Enjoy.

      Delete